Sunday, March 09, 2008

What I learned today.




I learned that I need to act more. There are so many opportunities to change and create. I have been asking the wrong questions.
I was able to spend some time with John Jay of Wieden and Kennedy Portland this afternoon who was able to give some good advise. The first eye opener I had was that John attended Ohio State. I also attended Ohio State. An even bigger opener was that we shared a professor. The professor was an old Swiss designer who would allow only four typefaces. This was big because it help me realize something about my thinking. Swiss type and poster design is not that interesting. Graphic design is only the start. It's just one of many languages you can use.
John reminded me that people are different. Common knowledge right? (Just a note. I felt really dumb by the time this was all over.)
But sometimes when you become so wrapped up in something you fail to see what is right in front your face. It's not about being a designer or an art director. Its about doing what you want and what you think is cool and let others try to put tags on you. I need to worry less. Live my life more. Create. Create. Create.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

If not a thing comes from the interview, this realization was probably worth the flight. :) I hope you enjoyed PDX. I'd love to know what you ended up doing.